17 August 2010

Back to school

Well. First day of school today. It still felt kind of surreal stepping into those halls at 6:55 am and looking for my locker, sitting in the gym, and then sitting in classes for 7 hours. Like it still doesn't feel completely REAL that I'm back at school. Ha, but I'm sure it will really hit me when I start getting really slammed with homework and the reality of IB work and...yeah. But miraculously all I got tonight was some sheets for my parents to sign, some reading for Chemistry, and some reading for Environmental Science.

It was also really weird to sit in the chairs on the floor for the first assembly. I know that makes no sense to anyone who doesn't go to my school, but the seniors sit in chairs for the first and last assembly of their senior year, while the rest of the time everyone sits in the (very crowded) bleachers. I've been going to school with most of these people for at least 7 years, some up to 10 years. So it was also strange that we're SENIORS now, grown up,* and about to enter the real world--in a year. I mean, while I'm completely ready to be a grown up, in college and experiencing the world out of the walls of Rampart High School and the conservative town I live in, I also feel like time has gone by really fast. I still remember my first day of high school quite vividly, how I was terrified and excited all at once, walking through those crowded hallways. I remember our "continuation" from 5th grade, and feeling like I was entering a new place. And even though that was over 6 years ago, it doesn't FEEL quite that long.

One of our administrators kept mentioning "10 months from now**" as when we will be leaving high school. I said to my friend that that seems like an impossibly long time right now, but once it's May, I'll feel like time has gone by too fast. I remember at the final assembly of my sophomore year thinking, "If these past 2 years have gone by so fast, the next 2 probably will too. I'll look back on graduation night and think that high school passed by amazingly fast. Obviously right now I just really want it to end, but once it does, I'm sure I'll wonder how 4 years went so fast.

I've realized that what I'll miss about high school is some of the friends, the experiences, and probably a few of the teachers. I won't miss the actual building, the being trapped in one place, most of the people,*** and, of course, the homework. I mean, I know I'll get homework in college too, but I'm already taking ALL college level courses. So college will feel like a breeze (at least most people tell me that), and I won't have so many pointless time consuming assignments to do. So, just thinking, I won't miss high school, I'll just miss the people and experiences I had because I was in high school. If that makes any sense.

The good part about today was getting to see and talk to friends I hadn't seen all summer, and realizing I DO have people who care about me, even at school. And it was good to see a few of my teachers, too. I'm really excited for Biology this year, because I love that class, and the teacher is so amazing. I'm also excited for History, since I love history. And APES!!! Ha, is that not the coolest name for a class? It's AP Environmental Science, in case you didn't know. I'm not particularly excited about AP Calc, since I kind of want to be done with high school math. And English kind of scares me right now. But that's probably a good thing. It WILL be hard, and I won't be so dumbfounded since I'm expecting that. Yeah.

But just as a note, I want someone to remind me in April that I CHOSE to take 5 IB classes (4 of them HL) and 2 AP. I know I'll be kicking myself come end of the year. For some reason, though, I wanted to take that many hard classes. WANTED to. Chose them. *sigh* Why I am I such a masochist sometimes?

In case anyone happens to be wondering what my classes this year are, here's the list: IB Lang A1 HL, IB HL Chemistry, IB HL Biology, AP Environmental Science, AP Calculus, IB 20th Century World History HL, IB French VI. Doesn't that sound like a fun year?

Actually, if you know me, you know I actually will have a lot of fun in some of those classes. Probably not English or Calculus...Really, though, I genuinely enjoy learning. I love Biology and History, Chemistry can be a lot of fun, French is just really easy for me after 9 years (and it's fun, too). I complain about the tests and essays and final IB exams, because those aren't the fun parts of school.

Right now, though, I'm just trying to embrace the idea that I can make my senior year fun. I can. If I want it to be fun, it can be. Today was a pretty good day, considering how hard this year will be. So maybe, maybe this will be a good year, too. I can only hope. =]

Mkay, tomorrow I will try to talk less about school and focus on a different topic. Actually, tomorrow I think I will discuss words. Yep.

I know I already used this this BEDA round, but I want to leave you with a little something to make you laugh.

Bee Season...In Your Pants
Absolutely Normal Chaos...In Your Pants
Things Fall Apart...In Your Pants
The Things They Carried...In Your Pants
Hopes and Impediments...In Your Pants

Cheers!!!

Inspirational quote/photo of the day: "We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts: we need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever." ~Philip Pullman

*Ha. Well. I mean, we're still immature and loud and crazy sometimes, but a lot of people are still like that in their 30s. (*cough* Chemistry teacher *cough*)
**Which is funny, because it will actually probably be NINE months from now when we're at our last day. But whatever, Mrs. Back...
***That probably sounds mean, but I'm just tired of being stuck with a lot of the same people, or the same type of people (Colorado Springs people), and I'm ready to experience something different

No comments:

Post a Comment