22 August 2010

Love for the Theatre

I'm not sure if this qualifies as being lazy or not, using the same topic as some part of my blog 3 days in a row. But right now I really don't even care that much, because this was a list I wanted to make, and I'm writing this later than usual since I was doing homework/wandering around on Facebook all day. So, I present you with Kat's Top Ten Reasons to See or Participate in Plays:

1. While being part of a play, you meet a lot of awesome friends.
I mean, really. You spend hours and hours with these people, dancing and singing and laughing and forgetting lines. You experience the set malfunctions, wardrobe malfunctions, and minor panic attacks during rehearsal or right before the show. I met a lot of amazing friends when I did plays when I was younger, and also grew closer to the people I did my 8th grade play with. I feel like you really bond as you stress over learning lines and choreography and not messing everything up on opening night. Plus, plays give you SO MUCH to laugh about even years later.

2. You seem CULTURED.
"What are you doing this weekend?" "I'm going to see a play." "Which one?" "The Grapes of Wrath." "Wow." *looks of admiration*

Okay, so maybe that's not really how the conversation would go. But I feel like going to see plays is one of those things that makes you seem "cultured," like you're a part of "high society." The whole aspect of getting dressed up and sitting in a theatre, with the sets and actors and story surrounding you. Or maybe it's just that plays used to be put on for the nobility or higher classes. Either way, if you go see a lot of plays, people tend to look at you as someone who's cultured, and has experienced something rather different. Mkay, or possibly I'm making that up and it's only my opinion. But whatever.

3. They are so much more worth your time.
I firmly believe this. Plays are so much more worth your time than going to see a movie that you can just rent and watch at home, for cheaper and with your own snacks where you can talk however much you want. I only go to see movies for the experience of a premiere: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or because someone asks me to go see it with them and I have no objection to seeing it "early": Avatar, Up in the Air, Atonement, etc. But you can't watch plays at home. They might cost a little more, depending on what theatre you go to. They are well worth that price though, since you're seeing people acting without getting to redo a scene 17 times, who often are probably improvising lines but managing to put on a wonderful show. I have much more respect for stage actors, because I think their jobs are a lot more work. For that reason and the fact that you can only see plays live, I think they are so much more worth your time than going to the cinema.

4. It impresses your teachers.
Well, it's impressed every English teacher I've ever told, that's for sure. And some other teachers, when the topic has come up. Freshman year my teacher loved that I went to go see Shakespeare plays and had seen Oedipus (which we read that year). Last year my English teacher appreciated that I'd seen A Midsummer Night's Dream that August, since that was the Shakespeare play we read last year, and I could clarify how the characters acted. I'm not sure why it's so impressive to most teachers, but it is. Definitely gets you on their good side, if you need something like that. ;D

5. Sometimes, there's AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION.
Actually...this isn't always a good thing. It's much funnier when you get to laugh at someone else being part of the show. I was chosen once to answer a question as part of The Complete History of America Abridged. I don't remember if I answered correctly or not, but I got a playing card as a prize and was thoroughly embarrassed.* Luckily, I've never had to participate in any singing due to audience participation. So...I guess audience participation is a good reason to go see plays because you get to laugh at other people. You just have to take the chance that YOU might the person everyone laughs at...

6. They really help you understand and get a lot more out of the story.
I find this especially true for Shakespeare, because you get to hear the tone of voice and really see the actions taking place rather than just reading the words. But I also got a lot more out of The Importance of Being Earnest--I loved the play when I read it, and loved it 100x more, if that's even possible, after seeing everything taking place. Oh, and The Grapes of Wrath was certainly a lot better as a play than trying to read Steinbeck. He tells really good stories, but I'm not a huge fan of his actual writing, so I'm glad I got to see the play, or I never would have finished that book. Okay, I still haven't, but now I know the story at least...

7. You learn a lot.
When both participating and seeing a play. This may sound cheesy, but you learn a lot about teamwork when you're part of a cast. You learn a lot about how people work together, what works in a play, and how to really entertain and audience. Also, you learn how to fix problems as they happen and not freak out about something. Just put some glow-in-the-dark tape on that piano leg, and no one will trip on it when you're walking out onto the stage.** When you see a play, I find I just learn a lot about how people are. I mean, I know a lot of plays are exaggerated for comic or tragic effect, but I still think I learn a lot. It's like people watching and paying REALLY CLOSE attention to people's words and tone and body language, except you don't seem like a stalker. Which is definitely a bonus.

8. You have great story material.
Now, this does depend on who you're talking to. But I've had some amazing conversations with people about my favorite plays or musicals, and why I love them. We laugh over the stories and discuss the joy of going to see a play and seeing that amazing talent. If the person I'm talking to has also been in a play at one point, we exchange hilarious rehearsal panic attack stories and laugh about how awful our acting often was when we were younger. Now, I'm not actually a good actor, so I can't really use my stories to entertain a large party. But, if you've had a lot of wine, and you get up in front of a party and start ACTING out a funny story or play you've seen/been in, I BET you will be the life of that party. Or at least that can be your story for another, less mortifying party.***

9. It's something fun to do on weekends.
Actually, it's one of the only things I ever do on weekends. I know I've mentioned this twice now, but I really do love getting all dressed up and going out on a Friday or Saturday night to theatre to see a great show. I usually go with my family, and we have fun discussing the play afterwards. Occasionally, I've brought a friend, which is doubly fun (if that friend likes plays) because there are some things you'll discuss with a friend that you won't with your parents. Maybe it's not as exciting as going to a club or bar, but it's certainly more worth your money and your time, as I stated above.

10. You have something to blog about!
I have clearly demonstrated this. And if I run out of ideas this month, I might even do another blog that contains my hilarious stories from previous plays. Would you enjoy that? I think that plays and musicals are very much a universal thing. Even people who don't really like going to plays or being in them enjoy hearing about other people's experiences. I think. But a blog post on plays can be either intellectual or comical, and both of those types of blogs make for an interesting read, I think. So, what are your play or musical stories? Do you still act, or are you terrified of every stepping on a stage? What's the best play/musical you've ever seen? Please share in a blog!!! :D




Well. This weekend marks the beginning of the, "WHAT? It's already Sunday night? I have to go back to SCHOOL tomorrow?!" (imagine complaining sort of tone here) *sigh* I think I lost the novelty of weekends during the summer...since that was when I worked, and then I got 5 days off. Now I work 5 days and get 2 days off, except during those 2 days I have to do a bunch of homework, so I'm still working anyway...

I got a planner today, since our school didn't offer them this year. Now I can make sure I remember all of my homework. I also studied for a French quiz, worked on my EE outline, and went through my English flashcards about 5 times. Oh, and I went for a walk today, partially just to get outside since it was FREEZING in the basement all day. But this guy was spraying that weed spray stuff, and I walked by right after, and my eyes, throat, and nose all stung. What the heck is IN that stuff? And why in the world does anyone USE it? Just pick the weeds yourself if they bother you that much!!! Sheesh.

I know my blogs have been getting a lot more boring since school started, and I'm sorry about that. Hopefully they're still somewhat interesting. But I do need more of a plan now. So, tomorrow, we discuss: quotes!

Cheers!


Word of the day: Froward--not easily managed; contrary
Inspirational quote/photo of the day: "Appearance blinds, whereas words reveal." ~Oscar Wilde

*Just because I'm shy and very easily embarrassed. I don't think it was all that embarrassing. It was just a question. But I'd prefer it never happen again, actually.
**That person was me. I tripped over the piano leg during our final dress rehearsal for this summer Broadway chorus thing, but luckily did not hurt myself. The director then put some glow in the dark tape on the leg so it wouldn't happen again. Embarrassing, but also kind of funny.
***Okay, this one I do not know at all by experience. I'm just trying to think of funny acting related things that would also be completely mortifying if one was to have a little too much wine. Because I've heard enough stories from older friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment