26 August 2010

Lifting Spirits

I know yesterday's post was really short. But I really had very few words yesterday. I was upset and I was also stressed about having to write my first product for a new, incredibly tough English teacher. I still don't have the words to say what needs to be said. I know I have a lot of strong feelings, but they are all deeply personal and I'm not sure I'm ready to share them with the world. So, as weird as it feels, I'm going to move on and focus on some other things.

Yesterday I also found out FINALLY that I got a 6 on my IB SL Math test (a 7 is the highest possible), which was exciting. I'd been expecting to get a 5, so I'm glad I got higher than I expected. This usually happens though--I tend to think I did worse on a test than I actually did. I also did manage to get Mockingjay yesterday because our librarian had ordered them. :D So now I can wait to buy it, and just read it now whenever I have time.* Those two things definitely brightened my day and lifted my spirits yesterday.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what to write my college essay on and how exactly to write it without it coming across the wrong way. Actually, our English teacher assigned us a "What Defines Me" essay, with the hope that we will turn it into a college personal statement. I can only think of one "unique" experience I have that may set me apart, but I'm terrified of writing about it. I don't really feel like I have the RIGHT to write about it, because it's still very much a part of me. But we'll see. I'm going to spend my weekend trying to write this paper. To be honest, I'd much rather right a passage analysis of The Fountainhead or something. It's going to be so much harder for me to write about myself and confront those pieces of me I pretend don't exist. *sigh* But maybe it will be good for me?

I also get to start volunteering at the Pikes Peak Therapeutic Riding Center again on Saturday, which I am very happy about. Those kids have such incredible spirits and strenghs, and working with them gives me so much hope. And even though I don't get to ride the horses, just being around horses lights up my own spirit. Horses are such special animals. I really wish I had the time and money to ride them more often.

Well. I feel like I should try to set a topic for myself for tomorrow, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Hopefully during the course of tomorrow, I will figure out some topic. Something more interesting than the past 2 days.

One more day until the weekend!....And then I get to write that essay......

Cheers!

Word of the day: Milquetoast--a timid, meek, unassertive person
Inspirational quote/photo of the day:


*LITERALLY, whenever I have time. I've just been carrying around that book and reading it whenever I have a free moment. I'm loving it so far, but am avoiding spoilers like the plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment