09 May 2012

Open Letter to NC

Today felt like a strangely long day even though I only had one final this morning that took an hour to complete and then just studied/did homework for the rest of the day. Bizarre. 


While I was working for 4 straight hours in the library today, I got really frustrated at two points and had to take a step back and calm myself down before I freaked out everyone else in the library. Ha. I really do get frustrated having to edit other people's writing, just because I forget that not everyone comes into college knowing how to write well. So while I'm not trying to overly criticize them, I do want to help them make their writing better, but then I just feel like people take that the wrong way. This afternoon I had to go through and revise more of our group literature review paper, and I got really really frustrated at one point because of all the work it was involving and because I really didn't want to feel responsible for the quality of my partners' writing. I'm starting to think I could never be a professor just because reading other people's essays does frustrate and stress me out so much...The second frustration point was because Word on the library computer kept crashing. Definitely a much more reasonable frustration cause, but I had to just deal with it and start saving my document every 3 minutes. Yay.


I really need new running shoes. I said this in December, but at that point it was more of a "I want but do maybe kind of also need new running shoes." Now it is May, and I have had these current running shoes for 14 months. It has truly become a necessity now. I can feel the strain these shoes and their lack of support is putting on my shins and then as a result on my other leg muscles. And I'm not enjoying it. I keep putting off buying new shoes mostly because I don't know of any sports or running stores in Hawai'i and I don't like buying just any old shoes. So we'll see. I'll try to get some as soon as I get home so I have a sturdy foundation for the Color Run. For now, I'm going to take a little break on Thursday morning and use the elliptical instead to reduce the impact of the concrete, which really is directly going to my feet, calves, and shins at this point since my shoes have absolutely no support or cushioning anymore. I've been telling myself to take a break from running outside for a good 2 weeks now, but when the time comes, my shins don't hurt anymore so I just tell myself I'm fine. That's not how it works, Kat!!! Prevent injury, don't just rest after one occurs. *sigh* Also, I'm sure no one reading this blog cares about that last paragraph, but if I write it down, I finally feel obliged to actually follow my own advice.


And now, an open letter.


Open letter to the citizens of North Carolina who voted for Amendment 1*:
Congratulations! And enjoy living with your flawed morals and ingrained ideas of what is "natural." Your bigotry and lack of thought have taken away the rights of your coworkers, friends, and maybe even members of your family. I hope you are proud of yourselves, though you certainly do not have any reason to be. Your fear of change and your creation of an exclusive law and society are marks of weak and scared people. You fear the power these ideas and people may bring to our nation, and you have chosen to continue to live in the past. I hope you are enjoying it there. Enjoy living in your hatred, your fear, and your pride. I, and so many members of my generation, am so done with this lack of respect and fear of change and something "different." Different is not wrong. Everyone is human, regardless of race, gender, sexual preference, or any other factor. And every human being deserves the same rights. I can only hope someday soon you will see this truth and reverse your decision. I'll be waiting to hear from you about your opinions and choices as the times continue to change while you stay stuck in the past. 
Sincerely,
A disappointed college student


So there's that. Ugh. I really was so upset to read that news today.


Did you know that the closest living land mammal to the manatee is an elephant? And the closest living land mammal to pinnipeds (seals, etc) is the dog? And did you know that mesopelagic fish that do not vertically migrate no longer have a swim bladder?


And can you tell that I am currently studying for my marine biology final? ;D


I'm going to go continue doing that. 3 more finals, turn in this literature review paper, and (hopefully) sign apartment lease. All in 6 days. Eek.


Cheers!


Inspirational quote/photo of the day:
Word of the day: mawkish--excessively or feebly sentimental; also, having a faint, sickly taste


*I realize many people did not vote for Amendment 1, and I applaud all of you. Thank you for sticking up for the basic rights of every human being. I'm sorry the closed-minded people won out over the truth and over what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment