23 August 2011

Cats in Suitcases

Eurgh. Still having problems deciding on what books to take to college.


So far, I have chosen: An Abundance of Katherines, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, Peter Pan, Three Cups of Tea,Just Listen, The Truth About Forever, The Bell Jar, and The Hunger Games. All books I love, but certainly not the only books I like to read. =( But we really don't have enough room in either our suitcases or in my dorm for a lot of books. So perhaps I will just be sad and lonely without my bookshelves full of books. *sigh* I also have to bring my 5 novels for Anthropology and Literature with me, as well as my Oceanography textbook. So yeah. I really DON'T have room. Sad, sad, sad day.


I got two of the books for school today though. One of the novels and my huge Oceanography textbook. Seriously. A good 1/4 of our carry-on will be taken up by that one textbook. So hopefully I end up enjoying that class. :)


I also started putting the DVDs I want to take in one of those CD cases people keep in their cars, so now I can bring my favorite movies and I can bring my lovely Doctor Who DVDs. I love Doctor Who. :D I might decide to bring a few other TV shows, but probably not. I'm thinking about getting a cheap Netflix account so I can watch streaming on my computer, and 30 Rock, X-Files, and several other old TV shows I like are on there, so yeah. I'm certainly good on what movies I'm taking. Books are different. Clearly.


Ebony wants to come with me to college. =( I'm going to miss her so much.


Anyway. Today I hung out for a few hours with one of my (few) good friends from high school. I love her, and I'm going to miss her, but a lot of the talk we had about high school reminded me how much I hated high school. The thing I've realized is that I'm going to miss my teachers and a select few people I went to school with, but I'm not going to miss the experiences or atmosphere of my high school. I just really did not like high school. Hopefully college will be much much better? Yes? =D


I was talking to one of my friends earlier this summer, and we both made the comment, "High school literally almost killed me." So yes. Clearly I am not about to start missing high school. I liked my teachers and the subject matter we studied. I liked working hard.* I'm going to miss my Chemistry and Biology teachers. I liked studying with friends and talking with them before and in between classes. But....other than that, no to high school. I didn't like the atmosphere of my high school. I hated how dirty and full of trash it was. I had a lot of bad memories from high school.


So. I'm hoping I can stay in touch with the friends I loved from high school, and leave the rest of it behind me.


I did have a good time with my friend today, though. We went on a short little hike in my favorite park here.** Then we went and got tea at Starbucks. And we spent a lot of time talking. It was nice because she cared enough to want to hang out with me and say goodbye before I leave for college. And she was always there to talk to and hang out with throughout middle and high school, unlike most people from school. So yes. It was good to see her.


Also, there was supposedly a pretty big earthquake in Colorado last night. But I definitely did not notice it at all. It says it happened around midnight, and that's about when I went to bed, so I don't understand why I didn't notice. It was in Trinidad, which is a good 2 hours away from where I live, but supposedly people in Greeley felt it, and that's much farther away. I'm kind of disappointed I missed the earthquake, since they're so rare here. *sigh*


I did think it was funny though that when the much bigger one happened on the East Coast during the day, everyone was just posting about it on Twitter and Facebook. There was a funny post from one of the people I follow on Tumblr saying, "After the reaction to the earthquake today, I now know that when the Apocalypse happens everyone will just stand around posting about it on Twitter." Which is sad, but is also probably true in our world today. Kind of like how everyone was on Facebook when they found out Osama bin Laden was dead in May. Ah, internet. How you skew the way we react to big events. So strange, so wrong. I love the internet, but it has changed the way we get news and then react to it.


Okay. I leave you with a beautiful sunset picture and a cheery goodbye.



Cheers!


Word of the Day: popinjay--a person given to vain, pretentious displays and empty chatter

Inspirational quote/photo of the day: "It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind." -T.S. Eliot

Days until I leave for college: 3.15


*I didn't really like the busy homework, but I always rather enjoyed writing essays and papers.

**Short because it was so hot today. I have, however, discovered that if I put a bag filled with ice on the back of my neck, I can tolerate the heat in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment