08 August 2011

Unity and Goodness

Guess what?! I'm writing this blog post at 4:45 instead of 11:45!!!! Wooooooooooooohooooooooo!!!!! Man, though, I was so annoyed last night because our internet was being stupid and wouldn't post my blog that I had spent forever writing. And I really really just wanted to go to bed. I think it finally decided to work (uploading all those stupid photos and such) around 12:40 am. The only plus side was that I got to watch the moon set over the mountains while waiting for the internet to work again. That was kind of cool. So I did end up sleeping in until 10:00 today because I was just so dang tired. And I do hate sleeping in that late, but at least now I'm not super tired. Yay.


Anyway. So I finally got my roommates. Technically I got the e-mail very late on Saturday night, but it didn't seem appropriate to talk about it yesterday in my Top Ten List. I wouldn't have been able to talk about it very in-depth, so I just delayed the news until today.


I have 2 roommates, just because it was cheaper. And also because I don't really see why it would be more annoying/challenging living with two people rather than one person. One of them lives in Colorado, too, only about 40 minutes away from me, in one of my favorite towns in Colorado. She seems really really nice and we're going to try to meet up before we both leave for Hawaii just to...see each other before we become roommates? Ha, I'm not entirely sure why this would make things better. I think we were just both very excited about how close we live and it would be cool to talk in person before the dorm. My other roommate is from Northern California and also seems very nice, although I haven't talked to her quite as much. She's a vegetarian too, and we all seem to have the same idea that academics is more important than partying, but partying sometimes is okay as well. Which is good. Basically, so far we all seem to get along well and don't clash over anything.


I'm hoping then, that I have more luck with my roommates than my sister had with her freshman roommate. My sister did NOT get along with her, as she always brought back boys or just left her boyfriends sitting in their room while she went off somewhere. It's not that they had huge fights or problems, but they didn't really get along.


Unfortunately, it always seems like roommates, especially freshman/first-year roommates, are kind of a lottery. Some people become best friends with their freshman roommate(s) and stay in touch for the rest of their lives. Others get along with their roommates okay-ish, but never talk to them again after freshman year, especially if they don't have the same classes/major. And still others positively hate their roommates and sleep out in a friends room or something for the majority of the year to escape them. I think I'm hoping for something between that first and second example, where we get along and maybe still talk throughout college, but I'm not holding out hope that any of us become the best of friends. I think that's a little too optimistic, and I don't like to live like that.


I'm a little worried about living with other people, but not too much. I've done it before. Every summer at camp you had to sleep with at least 7 other girls, and in the case of my last years, 15 other girls. In one room. And not everyone always got along. You just had to suck it up, talk to the people you did get along with, and maybe try to find an escape, talking to friends on the little balcony outside. And when I was in the hospital this past year, I had a roommate for most of the time I was inpatient. It was very awkward at first, but we soon became quite close and I still talk to her a lot. So we'll just have to see how I deal with it in college.


However, we have not yet received our addresses/room number/dorm building. I think that's probably what the delay was in not sending them out Friday, but once they saw/heard how angry people were, they decided to send out the names of roommates on Saturday anyway. I know, though, that my dad is going to be very annoyed, because we need a current address for me to change my medical insurance and stuff. Also, I kind of want my address so I can start applying for Work Study jobs. But hopefully they'll give it to us this week?


Oh, and my advisor has yet to e-mail me back after a week and a half. I have a desire to just register for the classes by myself, but that seems neither smart nor polite. I should at least see if it makes sense to change my math classes and then add on another class. I'm going to try to call her later tonight. Having a 4 hour difference with Hawaii makes all of this very complicated.



Dorm



Another view of the dorm


Mountains behind the campus :)


Also, I am praying for the people of London right now. These riots don't sound as if they are accomplishing anything productive. Instead, it seems to me they are igniting terror and fear among the residents of London, which is the point of terrorists, not activists. I can only hope the riots and fires come to an end soon. And...I'm also annoyed that the news stations are blaming Twitter/the internet for the spreading of the riots. As Maureen said, if we really had that much influence over people, all the people asking for an end would be able to stop the riots. *sigh*


However, all of this really got me thinking. That, and a tweet someone sent to Maureen:







In the Harry Potter poem I wrote thanking Jo in 2007, I have a stanza that says, "All us avid fans counted hours/Until the final book would be ours/We dressed up and left, excited/For something other than tragedy, united." And I think it's very interesting that most often people unite over anger (as in the case of these riots), and then subsequently the people left afterward unite over the tragedy left behind. And what would the world be like if we could get more people to unite over helping people in Africa or Asia, helping the less fortunate in our own country, or just promoting groups trying to do good in the world. We need to unite over the good. And we need to unite to help people before a tragedy happens. The people of Africa need our help even if their country isn't in a civil war or genocide right now. That poor man down the street would appreciate a free meal from you NOW, not when he's begging on your doorstep. Kids would like to have more safe places to hang out NOW, not when violence starts occurring.


I think that's why I love the Harry Potter Alliance so much. It brings people together to help others, and we often offer that help before a place seems in dire need.* And certainly there are a lot of people who unite over the positive and doing good. But they always seem to be in the minority, and there's always other people united to fight against those positive people. So I don't know. A lot of the time I don't have a lot of faith in our country or my generation. I realize that sounds very mean and pessimistic, but it's the truth. A lot of people care only about themselves or pay attention to the problems of celebrities rather than the far more important problems of the people around them.


So let's all try to do some good. Just reach out and make someone's day a little brighter. A little act of kindness, a smile, can make all the difference.** I'm so lucky to live where I do, with people who love me, and everything I need to live.


Anyway. I'm kind of amazed to be finishing this blog post before we eat dinner. *gasp* This also seems like a very random blog post, but whatever. That's the way my mind works.


Cheers!


Word of the Day: alacrity--brisk and cheerful readiness

Inspirational quote/photo of the day:


Days until I leave for college: 18.25


*I mean, obviously we should (and do) help people who are in dire need, but it's sad that it requires a large tragedy and a lot of deaths for us to start helping out people who often needed the help before then...

**I know this personally. I am so thankful for the people who took my hand and saved my life and the people who take a moment out of their day to smile or talk to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment