05 August 2011

Shark City

For once I am actually not typing this as I am watching Shark Week. But that's because I was working on artsy stuff before dinner while watching Air Jaws and then we were eating dinner while watching Shark City. And then...then Shark City just became too AWESOME. I didn't want anything to distract me from the awesomeness and the cuteness and the hilarity.


Air Jaws was lovely, even though I've seen it several times before. Breeching great whites are always beautiful in my opinion. Plus, it's one of the nature/science shark shows that I love so much, not a crazy "OH MY GOD SHARKS ATTACK PEOPLE LET'S KILL ALL OF THEM AND STAY OUT OF THE WATER" kind of show. My dad thinks the great whites are still scary, but I just tell him to not surf and to not look like a seal when he's in the water. Really, if you stay out of the way of the sharks, they won't hurt you. Seriously. Sharks kill 5 people per year on average. These things all kill more people per year than sharks.


So yeah. Be more afraid of vending machines than you are of sharks. :D


But, yes. Shark City? Officially the best Shark Week show I've ever seen. It was interesting and scientific, examining and studying the ways sharks and other animals in a reef live together, hunt together, and die together. It was funny, with Mike Rowe's commentary and all of the names of the creatures. Also, I absolutely adore blacktip reef sharks, which were the star of this show. I think they're the cutest sharks, and they live in the most beautiful environment.


It kind of reminded me why I want to study marine biology. I want to study the way these animals live. I want to explore that secret and beautiful world. I want to learn everything these animals can teach us, from the effects of global warming to how sharks could help us understand cancer with their miraculous ability to avoid tumors. Basically, I want to make a difference in the world and teach people something important about our world. We have explored the darkest corners of space so much more than we have explored the depths of the ocean, and I believe it is imperative to understand the planet on which we live. Every watery, shark-infested inch of it.


But I also loved the stars of the show, with their adorable names:

Harry and Lloyd, the teenager reef sharks who just couldn't seem to capture a meal. I was very happy for the both of them when they finally got dinner at the end of the show.

Big Mama, the hormonal pregnant reef shark who wouldn't let anyone else take her food. Get out of my way, kids!

Hook, the badass shark who fought with a fisherman and won. The mayor of this city.

Lilo and Tang, cute little lemon sharks.

Lucifer, the angry lionfish. Harry's meal.

Spike, the teasing stingray. Lloyd's meal.

Raja, scary little baby tiger shark.

Don Vito, big godfather of the city. Scary tiger shark. Don't get in this boy's way.

Remmy, cute little ramora always looking to hang a ride. RIP Remmy. Tang's meal.

And I cannot remember the name of the nurse shark. Nurse sharks are creepy. They have tiny little beady eyes and are responsible for the most human bites, but only because humans pull on the sharks' tails.


But yes. I very much enjoyed the show.*


My sharky enjoyed the show too. He put on his party hat to celebrate his friends' successes in catching food at the end of the day.



Anyway, I've been rereading the HP series since the movie. And I'd forgotten how funny ALL CAPS HARRY was. So angsty!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!


And it rained more. A lot more. Which is great, I love rain, but my dad refused to go outside in it. *sigh* I like walking in the rain, but he doesn't.


Also, ever since my sadness of yesterday, I've been searching through Tumblr and the internet for messages of hope and love. They really help. As did talking to several of my dear friends.


I realize this post was pretty much entirely about Shark Week. But I don't care. I love sharks, and it's just one week out of the year. Tomorrow I'll probably end up writing about college, since I get my roommates tomorrow, so you can look forward to something different.


Cheers!**


Daily Shark Fact: The shark which is responsible for most shark bites is the nurse shark. Many divers can’t resist the urge to pull this shark’s tail since it looks completely harmless and they end up getting bit.

Daily Shark Photo:

Such a pretty reef shark. Living in such a pretty environment.

Inspirational quote/photo of the day: "The gunfire around us makes it hard to hear. But the human voice is different from other sounds. It can be heard over noises that bury everything else. Even when it’s not shouting. Even when it’s just a whisper. Even the lowest whisper can be heard—over armies—when it’s telling the truth." -The Interpreter

Days until I leave for college: 22


*Ha, as if that wasn't obvious.....

**I don't know why I always say this. I really don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment