28 August 2011

Confessions of a Nerd Girl Part XII

The Phoenix airport is boring. :( Our Delta flight is in the crappy dilapidated terminal, not the nice one our Southwest flight landed in. Like...seriously. There are about 5 empty gates at the end of this side of the terminal. Sad, sad, gates. But it meant that we found an empty corner and watched an episode of Gilmore Girls. Score!

As much as this 5 hour layover is annoying, I'm kind of glad we've had time to relax and not be on planes. We ate, walked around some, played Bananagrams, watched a TV show...so yeah. Not too boring. And I personally think it's nice to have a break from planes. It's been a long day already. :(

I never got the chance to write my confessions blog yesterday, so I am going to be writing a good portion of this blog while we are on the flight from Phoenix to LA. And then hopefully I'll be able to post it when we're on our 2 hour layover in LA.

You know how people talk about being able to see the heat? I never knew what that meant. But I can definitely see a clear rippling in the air outside, and I'm pretty sure that's what people are referring to. It's 113 outside in Phoenix. We went outside for a minute, and my god, I'm glad we don't live here!

Enough talking about my trip. Moving onto the confessions.

1. I actually like doing homework. Most of the time.

I mean, I certainly complain a lot about homework. I especially did so this past year—senior year of IB was not easy. I would have really hard homework in usually 3 or 4 classes at a time, and then I’d always have stupid little time-consuming assignments in the other ones. My English class was definitely the hardest class I’ve ever taken, and took up the most of my time at home. Essays, reading, Socratic questions, journals, tests, etc, etc, etc, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the end, I really liked that class because I realized how nice my teacher was* and I really did learn a lot from her. But it took up an awful lot of time. And I complained constantly about my homework in that class.

BUT, I generally don’t mind homework. I love learning. I get this nice little thrill when I come up with a great idea for an essay, like my second idea for my World Lit paper this past year. I love finishing it and revising it and watching the idea develop from just a little thought in my brain into a whole paper. Abstract ideas becoming words on a page. :) I also absolutely love when I’ve been working on a really tough Chemistry or Calculus problem and then all of the sudden, after much working and erasing and frustration, I finally figure it out. I hate the part where I’m confused and I’ve been known to throw papers across my bedroom in frustration, but I do love figuring out problems. Because all of the sudden it makes sense to me, and I have grasped a new concept. I love that.

I guess…I don’t like homework when it makes me stay up until midnight for weeks running. I don’t like homework that feels like busy work and isn’t really teaching me anything. I don’t like homework when it interferes with time I could be spending with friends.**

But I do love learning. I truly hope that love will continue all throughout college.

2. I'm probably going to miss my cat more than anything else while I'm away.

I don’t say this to sound mean to my parents, because I’m going to miss them too. And my few friends. And my sister, although we’ve been apart for 2 years now and I think we’ve still remained quite close. I love all of those people, and certainly it will be hard to be away from them. But I can talk to them on Skype, write letters, interact on Facebook, even see their faces on webcam if I want.

But…there’s nothing like having my cat comfort me when I’m upset (crying my eyes out…) or stressed (…throwing papers around the room). I love having her sleep with me. I love petting her soft fur after a long hard day. I love watching her play. I love her so much. And I’m not sure she really understands why I left. Okay, of course she doesn’t. She’s a cat. And I don’t want her to feel like I abandoned her. I hope she still loves me just as much when I come back in December.

3. Every time I fly, scenes from the movie Airplane are constantly running in my head.

I love that movie so much. It is absolutely hilarious. In general, I think I like movies from the 80s and 90s more than I like most movies made now. I mean, I’m sure that those decades had their super crappy movies as well, but even the movies I like from this decade don’t seem to have the charm or humor of a lot of 80s or 90s movies. Anyway. I digress.

I don’t know if any of you have ever seen Airplane, but well…it’s a love story, a comedy, and a story of a bunch of people flying on an airplane (obviously). There are so many little scenes that stand out in my head, that randomly pop up when I fly on an airplane. Of course, none of those things would ever happen on an airplane, especially not today, but it always makes me laugh a little to myself when I’m stuck on a plane.

…………And, apparently LAX doesn’t have free Wi-Fi. Grrrrrrrrr. I knew there was a reason I should’ve written this yesterday. *sigh* Ah, well, hopefully I can find Wi-Fi when we get to Hawaii while we’re waiting for our rental car or something.

Oh, and to Bridgette: I do know where all the dorm buildings are on campus, I just meant that I don’t know that one building is necessarily better than another one. And we finally got our assignments today. I’m in Melia hall, room 205. So. However, in that same e-mail, they said that basically the dorms are a mess because they’re moving in new furniture in September, and we don’t have desks. Great. Hopefully I’ll find a way to manage until they finish renovating. Bleurgh.

I’m going to go try to walk around a little bit now once my parents return. That way it won’t feel quite as bad sitting on my butt on a plane for 6 hours straight.

Cheers!

Word of the day: torpor--apathy or sluggishness

Inspirational quote/photo of the day: "Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." -Proverb

Current location: LAX

*Most everyone else thought she was evil, but she’s actually very nice and very helpful if you make the effort to talk to her.

**Especially because I don’t have many chances to hang out with friends, so I hate when I have to say no or cut the time short because of a test or essay.


No comments:

Post a Comment