06 August 2011

Gah!!!!

Eurgh. So I know I said this post would be about college and roommates. But that has changed.


Know why?


Because the people at Hawaii Pacific were all, "Oh, sorry, we got behind. We'll e-mail you your roommates on Monday." WHAT? What?!?! *sigh*


I'm annoyed a little because they've had since mid-April to start matching roommates, since that's when the application for housing was due. But mostly I'm disappointed. They gave us the August 5th date a month ago, so even there they've had a month to make sure they get it to us on the right date. And all my friends already know their roommates. And...I just really want to know who my 2 roommates are and get to talking to them BEFORE we move in 3 weeks from now.


Every time I complain about this my dad points out that he didn't know who his roommate was until he walked in the door to his dorm. And while I realize that's true, and if I'd lived then I wouldn't complain about this, I don't live in the 80s. The technology is available, every school I know of tells you your roommate before you move in now, and I just don't understand why my school is being so slow.


Dear Hawaii Pacific,

Sincerely,

Kat


Okay, in all honesty, I love my school. My advisor has been really nice. Before I got in or even finished applying, I did an interview with 2 admissions counselors who were incredibly nice and personal. Same for the information session in March. It's in a beautiful location, with a wonderful marine biology program. I get to take an oceanography class my first semester and go out on the boat on Thursday afternoons. So far, everyone who's going there this fall (who's on the Facebook group) seems very nice and accepting.* I am so excited I got accepted here and got scholarships (including one very recent one about a week ago) and have the ability to go away and study something amazing and that I'm passionate about. I'm very lucky. And I'm grateful.


But, honestly? Right now I'm disappointed.**


Anyway, other than that today I cleaned for my party I'm having tomorrow and made some shark shaped sugar cookies for the party as well.*** Read Harry Potter, watched some sharks, did art, did a short hike, etc, etc. I am IN LOVE with the shark cookies. I made them from scratch and am quite proud of them. They're adorable. :)


Also, I only just remembered that it's my half-birthday today. Which is funny, because I know on August 5th last year I made my entire blog post about that fact. I think it was becasue I was desperately waiting to be 18 years old. I'm not entirely sure why. Sure, there's some freedoms that come with being an adult and it meant college, but it also means all the burdens of the real world. And, also, my 18th birthday mostly sucked because my parents wouldn't quit fighting and there was a GIGANTIC snowstorm which prevented the only friend who really wanted to come (read: cared enough) from getting to my house until very late.


So now I'm 18 and a half. It really doesn't feel any different. And I'm not exactly waiting to be 19. I think to a certain extent over the last year I've stopped just waiting for dates to come and go. I used to constantly just look for a date in the future to look forward to, even if it was months away, in order to escape the pain of my present. A shame, really, because every day should be grasped and be viewed as lovely, even if there's pain or tears or tragedy. Because every day that passes means you're still alive.


I've really been trying more lately to live in the present. I don't always succeed, but it helps me a lot when I start feeling upset, lost in grief, or just plain empty and anxious and lonely and fat. It helps to live step by step, moment by moment, whenever I can.


Of course, when I worked on the weekends, I didn't really live moment to moment. Mostly I just wanted 6:30 to come so I could GO HOME and stop wearing the uncomfortable clothes. But that's a whole different story.


Weeeeeee. It's 11:55 here now and while I don't have to work this weekend (YAY), I do have to wake up early-ish tomorrow to prepare for my party. So yeah. Beddy time. :)


Cheers!


Daily Shark Fact: Experts believe that the whale shark may be capable of living up to 150 years, making it one of the longest-living creatures on Earth.

Daily Shark Photo:

Aw, cute little blue shark. I like them because they're actually blue. And they're CUTE.

Inspirational quote/photo of the day: “Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone. And do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.” -Ida Scott Taylor

Days until I leave for college: 21


*I know you can never be sure, but no one seems particularly mean or bitchy

**I feel like I'm just complaining now. So moving on to a different topic...

***I will post pictures tomorrow. Probably. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment