26 August 2011

The Fallen, Rising Again

Tomorrow is my last day in Colorado. O_o


I spent pretty much all of today cleaning my room. So I have tomorrow to make sure I've packed everything I need. I will check my list, make sure I think I have everything, and probably still freak out that I've forgotten something. Because that's the way I am. I just have to make absolute sure I remember to bring all of my various USB cords for my electronics and my KEYS so that I have my flash drive and a place to put my ID and whatever keys I need for college. So yeah. Let's hope I don't forget any of those things, because that would be bad. I mean, I also want to check off that I have enough clothes (Socks!!!!), the shoes I want, books, movies, small toiletries, swimsuit, etc, etc, other vital things for living in a place. But anyway.


I am currently watching "Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero" on the Discovery channel, and parts of it really are making me cry. I mean, I cry very easily, but whatever. The producers of the show did a beautiful job with this show. It's more than rebuilding the World Trade Center, it's rebuilding hope and home for America. It's filling that hole in the hearts of those who survived and those who remembered. It's filling a hole in the world. Also, the people they are interviewing, the stories they are telling...my god. It's just so heart-wrenching, but powerful.


This image forever brings tears to my eyes.


I know that a lot of people in our country have their own ideas about what happened on 9/11 and that an awful lot of people think we should "get over it," but I will always be sentimental about anything that has to do with 9/11. I think it's so important to have closure for this event. This event changed the way we live. It changed the way I live. It changed our country. There's no denying how powerful it was for everyone who remembers it. I was only 8, but my dad was in the military and I knew from the first time I saw the replay of the plane hitting in school that something big had happened. Everything was about to change.


And man, the designs these people are making, the new towers, are absolutely breathtaking.


Rising Anew.


10 years. It blows my mind that it's been 10 years. Elementary schoolers today weren't alive for the event. A lot of middle schoolers don't remember the event because they were too young. But those images are forever etched into my memory and will always bring tears to my mind.


I have enormous respect for the architects who have made it their life goal to build this. To complete Tower 1.


These people are the hope for our country. They embody everything America stands for. <3


The fallen are rising again.


In their memory


.....................................................................................................


I walked to the mall today in the rain. It was lovely because I love rain, but I did get quite wet because for the first half of the walk I couldn't have my umbrella open because the wind just turned it inside out.* But I enjoyed it. I'm sure the people in their cars who passed me thought I was either crazy or homeless. I love rain, though, so who really cares what strangers think? It's probably good preparation for walking to class in Hawaii, though. It rains a lot on the windward campus.


I basically took two showers today, though, except I didn't have soap when I was in the rain. ;)


Okay. I'm going to go back to just enjoying this beautiful Discovery Channel special now. Tomorrow I will be freaking out. Wooooooo, college!!!!


Cheers!


Word of the Day: anew--once more, in a new or different, typically more positive, way

Inspirational quote/photo of the day: "This tower will be a symbol of hope rising from a scene of tragedy." -Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero

Days until I leave for college: 1!!!!!!!!!!!


*I learned this by trying to walk with my umbrella and then having it turn inside out on me in front of a bunch of cars. I was embarrassed, but I learned. To just get wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment